ATV Operation in Washington State

A new law changes how ATVs are licensed. All ATVs must be licensed and get a metal tag. If your WATV is street legal, you may get an on-road tab to display on the metal tag. This tab will allow you to ride your wheeled all-terrain vehicle on certain roads. For more information regarding registering your ATV’s in Washington State, please CLICK HERE.  Additionally, a valid Discover Pass is required at all Washington state-managed recreation lands.

Useful Links

Washington DOL WA DOL Permit Reciprocity Discover Pass


ATV Operation in Oregon State

If your ATV is registered in Washington State and you plan to ride in Oregon, note that all non-residents riding in Oregon are required to take the online ATV safety education course and carry an ATV Safety Education Card. You will not have to register your ATV with Oregon if your ATV is registered in Washington State due to Oregon’s reciprocity for Out-of-State Permits. Oregon recognizes other state’s plates or ATV Permits in lieu of the Oregon ATV Permit when operating off-road.

Useful Links

Oregon ATV Safety Course Oregon Permit Reciprocity


ATV Operation in Idaho

If your ATV is registered in Washington State and you plan to ride in Idaho, you’ll be happy to note that you have the same use privileges and responsibilities as a resident of this state with a properly registered vehicle. Nonresidents are not required to register in Idaho unless they have operated within the state for more than 30 days.

If you are planning to ride on the roads in Idaho, be sure to review the latest required equipment list on the Idaho DMV FAQ page.  Currently, the required equipment to operate on county roads includes a working brake light, a horn audible at 200’, headlight and taillight after dark or during poor visibility, helmet under the age of 18, and a mirror showing roadway 200′ behind the vehicle.

Useful Links

Idaho DMV FAQ Idaho Parks & Rec OHV